If you need a cloud service or CDN service for your website, you need to register your domain through a Chinese registrar. This is enforced by the MIIT regulation No.264 in 2017. See below link to this rule and tranlations.
Ministry of Industry and Information Technology Circular on Regulating the Use of Domain Names by Internet Information Services
Ministry fuses ﹝ 2017 ﹞ 264 Number
All relevant units:
In order to further implement the requirements of the laws and regulations such as the “Anti-Terrorism Law of the People’s Republic of China”, the “Cyber Security Law of the People’s Republic of China”, the “Administrative Measures on Internet Information Services” and the “Measures for the Administration of Internet Domain Names,” further regulate the use of Internet information service domain names Notices on related matters are as follows:
First, the Internet information service providers engaged in the use of Internet information service domain name should be registered according to law.
(A) individuals engaged in Internet information services, domain name registrants should be Internet information service providers themselves.
(B) Where an entity engages in Internet information services, the domain name registrant shall be the unit (including the shareholder of the company), the principal person in charge of the unit or the senior management.
2. Internet access service providers shall, in accordance with the “Anti-Terrorism Law of the People’s Republic of China” and the “Cyber Security Law of the People’s Republic of China”, verify the identities of Internet information service providers. If the Internet information service providers do not provide true identity information, Internet access service providers shall not provide services for them.
3. The domain name registration authority and the domain name registration service institution shall, in accordance with the “Measures for the Management of Internet Domain Names” and the requirements of the telecommunications authorities, construct a corresponding information management system in cooperation with the ” Record Management of ICP / IP Address / Domain Name Information of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology System “(hereinafter referred to as the filing system) interconnection, submit domain name registration information.
4. the domain name registration authority, domain name registration service agencies should further strengthen the domain name real identity information registration management, shall not provide domain name resolution services if no real identity information.
5. Internet access service providers should provide real-name information of domain name registrants through the filing system when providing access services to Internet information service providers, provide no true identity information or provide inaccurate and incomplete identity information Internet access service providers may not provide access to them. Except for the domain names filed in the filing system prior to the date of this notification.
Internet access service providers shall regularly check the status of Internet domain name providers using the domain name system through the filing system. For domain names that do not exist, domain names expire, and real identity information is not provided, Internet service providers should stop providing them Access service.
6. Telecommunication authorities should supervise Internet access service providers, domain name registration authorities and domain name registration service providers to carry out their business in accordance with the above requirements, handle all kinds of illegal activities in accordance with the law, incorporate the results into the enterprise reputation management files and make public announcements to the public .
This Notice comes effective since 1st January 2018.